I’ve had eczema my whole life. Dry skin on my eye lashes, in my elbow creases, on my legs, everywhere! As I got older I seemed to grow out of it, but over the last couple of years it has come back with a vengeance.
My hands are so dry and cracked that some nights I wake because they’re so sore. Recently, I’ve found myself scratching until they bleed, and closing my hands into a fist hurts. They’re so sore!
So a week ago, I took myself off to a naturopath (for the first ever time) to find some relief. Lots of questions were asked of me and we discussed some things that now seem so obvious.
How much water do I drink? Why? Because my hands are dry, and water makes things not dry.
Am I the first to finish my plate of food? Why? Because chewing helps digestion and my hands could have something to do with that.
Because all my digestion seems to be ‘normal’ I was told that it was unlikely to be a food intolerance but we need to rule it out.
So for 5 days at a time I’m excluding wheat, fructose, diary, and acidic foods. Apparently it’s the reintroduction that is important. So I will just wait and see.
As you can imagine, me eliminating wheat is an interesting one. So I needed to find a breakfast other than porridge or toast.
This paleo muesli is amazing! And once I’m back from being off fructose, I’m getting back into this muesli!
Do you have any food intolerances?
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup macadamias, chopped
- 20 dried dates, chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅔ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180*C
- Combine sweet potato puree, vanilla, melted coconut oil and maple syrup and all spices. Mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover large baking dish with baking paper and pour muesli mix in. Spread out.
- Put in oven and stir at 20 intervals.
- Cook for roughly 1 hour, or until slightly browned.
- Turn oven off. Give muesli a stir and return to oven to cool.
- It will harden when cooled.
- Store in air tight container and serve with your choice of milk.