Nothing screams “Christmas Foodie Gift” to me like this amazing almond butter crunch. So when Claire (Claire K Creations) emailed me asking if I wanted to be involved in a Foodie Secret Santa, it was the first thing that came to mind.
I text my mum’s amazing friend Deb, to see if she was happy to share the recipe, with not only me, but with all of you too. She was more than happy to. I heard the ping of my email and I checked it with baited breath, it was like being let in on the Christmas Miracle, like all my Christmas’s had come at once. This delicious treat is melt-in-the-mouth-decadence, the perfect way to finish off a meal.
I made up three packages of this, along with some shortbread and fruity Christmas biscotti, to sent off my to my recipients. Yesterday, I got two packages in the mail. These amazing rich chocolate covered peppermint patties and some spiced cranberry sauce which I can’t wait to try with my Christmas ham. What food do you solely associate with Christmas, apart from the obvious?
- 200 gm blanched almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 300 gm dark chocolate
- Finely chop the blanched almonds.
- Spread in a pan and roast lightly in a moderate oven.
- Place butter and sugar in a sauce pan. Cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Heat to 125*C.
- Add half the almonds.
- Cook to 155*C, stirring often.
- Pour onto a lightly buttered baking tray with sides.
- Melt chocolate, stir until smooth.
- Pour chocolate over the cooled caramel. Sprinkle with reserved nuts.