This salad has been with me for a long time. I first learnt a version of it when I use to travel to Cairns on my school holidays, it then became the salad I’d have to take to barbecues when I was studying at uni, now it’s a fabulous salad for late winter when broccoli are in season.
The bite from the onion is so warming and the crunchy toasted pine nuts perfection with the combination of all the other ingredients. We paired it with a rare steak for dinner, and I’ve since just eaten bowls full of it for lunch.
- 2 heads of broccoli - raw (about 500gm)
- ½ cups sultanas
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Finely chop the raw broccoli, use the stalks and all.
- Put into large salad bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Serve with BBQ or eat on its own.